Thursday, June 21, 2012

Rain Rain Go Away

This is a picture of the view the morning after the rainstorm. 
      I'm on night shift again this week.  Two nights ago, we checked the weather forecast and saw warm weather with a 10% chance of rain.  In good spirits, we dressed accordingly and set out for the road.  About 2 hours into our shift, it began to drizzle.  Nothing serious--even refreshing.  A few miles later, it began to come down a little harder.  Before long, we found ourselves walking in a cold, driving rain, vastly under dressed and absolutely miserable.  It was the first time in this walk that I second-guessed why I was doing this.  Every inch of my body was wet and freezing, while the wind blew and made it even worse.  There was nothing but blackness in front of me, discouraging me from going on.  Every step was a challenge, every movement a painful sacrifice.  The only thing keeping me going was the rosary I was saying. 
      After I finished my shift, I realized that I had made the biggest sacrifice yet of this trip.  I had pushed through miserable pain, and had done so prayerfully and with determination.  Every part of my body told me to stop, to give up, to sit down and wait for the car to come bring me away from the tempest.  But I persisted.  And in my persistence, I learned that I was capable of true sacrifice.  What's more, it wasn't my own will that was keeping me going, for if it was I would surely have quit.  The grace of God pushed me forward, strengthening my muscles and kept me going.  Through I was made aware of the great strengthening power of God's love; I was truly able to unite my suffering to that of the Cross.  After those painful miles, I no longer walk alone.  My every step is made with Him; my every step is made for them. 

1 comment:

  1. Amen! I look forward to meeting all of you on the feast day of St. John Vianney! Hope you guys get in early enough to enjoy our parish celebration

    ReplyDelete