Sunday, June 3, 2012

Workin' for the Weekend

Two weeks have come and gone!  I have seen two mountain ranges, endless wildlife, beautiful sunsets, and lots of breathtaking views.  Starting tonight, I am moving to night shift, so everything changes.  I'll start walking after sunset, and go all the way until morning Mass.  I am excited to see all the stars! 



I have really begun to love these people on the walk with me.  Right as the summer began, a friend from college shared with me one of the wisest reflections I have ever heard.  If you commit yourself to silence of mind and mouth, you suddenly become aware of the immense beauty of the world around you.  Throughout the hills and valleys, my own experience has confirmed this.  I have, with great difficulty, been able to limit my speech and quiet my mind, and in doing so the song those around me has become more brilliant than ever before.  My fellow walkers are beautiful and fantastic people, and through my (relative) silence I have begun to see God like I never have before.  He is vivid and tangible in these people, and I thank God immensely for this blessing. 

Walking gets exhausting!  We are either praying, eating, sleeping, or walking.  There is no down time.  By about Thursday, there are two thoughts that sustain us.  First, the prayers and encouragement from all the wonderful people around us.  Second, the thought of the coming weekend.  Warm beds, home cooked meals, and free time offer enormous encouragement on the road.  If it were not for the deep and full generosity of our host families, our walk would undoubtedly fail. 

p.s. Today one of the boys at my host family launched his home made, 10 foot tall trebuchet.  It was successful. A video will come soon with footage of this incredible feat. 

No comments:

Post a Comment